Cowlitz County Outdoor Burning Information

Residential burning and land clearing burning are permanently banned in all urban growth areas ... Burn barrels are illegal ... they were banned in Washington state April of 2000.           

Can I Burn? (Interactive Burn Map)

For the most accurate answer to "Can I burn?", consult our easy to use Interactive Burn Map. It allows you to select a point on the map or enter your address and obtain complete burning details for that location.

Burn Ban Status

Although a Burn Ban may not be in effect, there are restrictions in what types of burning are permitted. See our Interactive Burn Map for accurate burning information for your address.

 No Burn Ban is in Effect 

Effective: October 25, 2022 - Residential burning and land clearing burning are permanently banned within the expanded Longview/Kelso no burn area and in the city limits and urban growth areas of Castle Rock and Woodland.

Burning is limited to natural vegetation only in the remainder of Cowlitz County. A free permit is necessary for all fires up to 10 x 10 x 6 and can be printed from our website at, or obtained from your local fire station. Piles larger than 10 x 10 x 6 requires a written permit from the Southwest Clean Air Agency.

For silvicultural or forest questions contact Dept of Natural Resources at 360-575-5089. For more information you can contact the Southwest Clean Air Agency at 360-574-3058 or 1-800-633-0709 during normal business hours.

View the latest Notice

DNR Fire Danger Level

MODERATE - Effective: 6/7/2023

What do the DNR Danger Levels mean? Click here to find out.

Click for More DNR Information

Burning Rules
  • WAC 173-425 bans the use of a burn barrel and prohibits the burning of all material, except natural vegetation grown on the property and firewood (defined as bare, untreated wood, not dimensional lumber). This regulation also prohibits burning during periods of impaired air quality and prohibits outdoor burning from becoming a nuisance to surrounding neighbors and businesses. Fire safety burn-bans may also be called by county or local fire protection authorities.
  • Consult your DNR or SWCAA Land Clearing Burn Permit for additional burning information.