Agricultural Burning

To Whom do the Agricultural Burning Provisions of WAC 173-430 Apply?

The agricultural burning provisions of WAC 173-430 apply to bona fide commercial agricultural operations being carried out on lands designated for agricultural use as validated by the most recent year's IRS Schedule F form.

When is an Agricultural Burning Permit Required?

All commercial agricultural operations must obtain a permit prior to burning natural vegetation. SWCAA requires   when burning orchard prunings, natural vegetation along fence lines, irrigation and drainage ditches or natural vegetation blown by the wind. You must notify your local fire protection authority and the Southwest Clean Air Agency (SWCAA) prior to igniting any fire, even if an air quality permit is not required.

Best Management Practices (BMPs)

Agricultural burning is allowed when it is reasonably necessary to carry out the enterprise. A grower can show it is reasonably necessary when it meets the criteria of the BMPs and no practical alternative exists. BMPs are one of the ways to demonstrate the need to burn. Growers not using these BMPs must establish that their proposed burn is reasonably necessary and that no practical alternative is available. The burden of proof is on the grower, and the demonstration must satisfy the Southwest Clean Air Agency and the Washington Department of Ecology.

Agricultural Buring Permit Application Forms

If the burning you wish to conduct requires a permit, an appropriate permit application must be submitted to the Southwest Clean Air Agency (SWCAA) with the application fee. The appropriate permit application form can be downloaded as described below depending on the type of burning you wish to conduct. Instructions and fee information are provided on the application forms. SWCAA will approve or deny a permit within 7 days of receiving a complete application with fee.